The Public Relations Officer for Nigeria’s apex court, Festus Akande has come out to clarify that the fire incident that occurred on Monday morning has no connection with, and won’t have any effect on the presidential election petition.
Africa Today News, New York had earlier reported earlier that a wing of the Nigerian Supreme Court complex which is situated at the Three-Arm-Zone, Abuja, was engulfed by fire on Monday morning.
Though no human casualty was recorded, however, it was not clear whether sensitive documents and files were destroyed by the early morning fire.
A source told Africa Today News, New York that the fire was probably caused by electrical malfunction in one of the offices within the administrative wing of the court.
The source confirmed that three offices, including that of Justice Mohammed Saulawa, was touched by the fire before it was eventually put off.
Speaking during an interview on Arise TV on Monday, Akande stated that the fire outbreak won’t affect anything in the court.
He said: ‘As a matter of fact, there’s no single connection, and it won’t affect anything in the court.
‘This incident occurred in a chamber equipped with a computer and other equipment, as well as a functional library used by any justice occupying such chamber.
‘The only thing that was affected were the books and computer equipment in the chamber. Even the books are replaceable.
‘Also, it has nothing to do with it because it was from an electrical fault, which could happen anywhere, and there are things that happen daily.’
Africa Today News, New York reports that the fire was eventually put out by the Federal Fire Service operatives and everything has returned to normal around the highly restricted area.