Ogun Electrocution Tragedy: Mother, Son, Another Killed

Unsettling report has surfaced of a mother, her son, and an unidentified person who suffered and electric shock while at Mowe market, located in the Obafemi-Owode region of Ogun State.

The incident reportedly took place on Monday, triggered by an electrical spark in the market shortly after the power supply was restored by the electricity distribution company following Sunday’s rainstorm.

According to witnesses, the electric shock originated from the step-down transformer positioned on an electrical pole near the shop where the incident took place, coinciding with the arrival of shop owners beginning their daily sales routine at the market.

The eyewitness said, “A female trader was said to have been electrocuted alongside her son and another person in the market. About four persons were also injured in the incident.

Segun Soneye, the Director of Information representing Obafemi Owode Local Government, corroborated the incident with journalists stationed in Abeokuta.

He explained that the woman “was burnt into ashes.”

Soneye blamed the incident on the erection of shops made of iron under the powerline by the traders.

In a show of empathy, Council Chairman Lanre Ogunsola met with the shop owners affected by the incident, offering his condolences and support.

Soneye disclosed that shop owners have been given a seven-day ultimatum by the LG boss to dismantle their makeshift shops under the high-tension powerline, as a precautionary measure.

The council boss extended his visit to the Mowe Health Post, where he met with other victims receiving medical attention, and guaranteed them access to top-notch healthcare, with all expenses covered by the government.

Read also: Chinese Man Accused Of Attempted Murder In Ogun Escapes

The Police Spokesman, Omolola Odutola, confirmed the incident, clarifying that the mother, Ujuwa Okechukwu, was the only fatality.

The Police Spokesman, Omolola Odutola, revealed that four injured victims are receiving healthcare services at Babcock University Teaching Hospital.

Africa Today News, New York 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *